The key 5 elements to be verified when choosing a transport company that provides “Just in Time” delivery
Choosing the right transport company that provides “Just in Time” express delivery is a very responsible task. There is no room here for error and oversight. Choosing the right carrier is on the one hand a success in the form of winning a fight against time, on the other hand, the error in choosing it can be really expensive. Improper selection of the Carrier may cause multimillion losses caused by, for example, stopping the production line. Therefore, rational decision-making and reasoning are in this case the best advisers. Looking only at the cost of the service will often only generate apparent savings.
According to Transporeon Group’s report “Logistics Challenges 2019”: Only every fourth surveyed company (24%) is very good at finding a carrier – it is able to do so within an hour. Every third (31%) needs 4 hours – a similar number of companies (36%) do so in 24 hours.
See what elements you should look for when sourcing a transport company for just in time deliveries at your company to choose the best one:
1. Fleet and its type
This is the basic element that defines the business profile of each transport company. To make sure that a given company is able to react quickly to the order and process it without any problems within the given time, it is necessary to dispel your doubts in the following areas:
- Does the company in question have its own fleet of cars – If it does, it should be considered a big advantage. A company with its own means of transport ultimately has more control over the driver who completes the delivery. Consequently, it means more control over the transport of your cargo and its timely delivery.
- What type of fleet does the transport company have – Check this in great detail so that ultimately it does not turn out that your cargo will not fit the vehicle that the carrier has or the cost of transport will be much higher. It may be influenced by the non-optimal use of the cargo space or the need to use more than just one vehicle for transport.
- Does the fleet that the carrier has is new and modern – The state of the fleet is the first determinant of the guarantee of timely delivery. The newer cars in the fleet, the greater the chance of reliability of the carrier, that is, failure-free and timely delivery. The technical facilities installed in the used transport vehicles are also important here. One of them is the Innolift self-loading unit that simplifies quick loading and unloading of the vehicle double floor, allowing you to reduce transport costs by increasing the loading area by up to 40%. You can obtain such solutions by cooperating with Express BOTAM
2. Experience in just in time deliveries
It is worth checking the actual experience of the carrier. Ask for letters of reference from customers, especially those from your industry. If you operate in the demanding and specific automotive industry, it is worth carefully verifying the current efficiency and timeliness of deliveries. This will increase the chance of choosing the best supplier. The company’s expertise also includes experienced drivers. If you can check how long the driver works in a given company, it will give you more certainty for accurate just in time deliveries with the help of such a company. Because an experienced driver in this industry is real treasure.
3. Way of monitoring the delivery
Find out if the company monitors your delivery. If so, please verify exactly how it is done.
- Will you be able to check where your vehicle is transporting your load at a given point?
- Will you also receive a dedicated phone number that will allow you to contact anyone knowing everything about your transport at any time and someone who will be able to provide you with all the necessary information on a regular basis?
4. Type and scope of cargo insurance
Make sure that your cargo is properly insured in case of problems. Check:
- What cargo insurance is held by the company that will carry the cargo? It is worth to carefully check individual clauses in the carrier’s liability insurance policy, which may sometimes be crucial for the payment of insurance.
- What is the insurance sum?
- If you order transport of a large load, it is also good to insure the load by buying cargo insurance, which in case of problems will significantly reduce losses. At BOTAM, we handle all formal aspects related to purchasing additional cargo insurance as part of our cooperation. You do not have to worry about anything
It is worth asking about the certificates that a transport company has. They are the determinant of the guarantee and confirmation of the high quality of services provided by the transport company. At BOTAM, we hold the ISO 9001-2015 certificate.
Choosing a transport company for dedicated just-in-time deliveries is a complex process that should not be taken lightly. There are many factors to make a good decision, including a guarantee of delivery that you should receive from the Carrier. See for yourself what guarantee for accurate just in time delivery is provided by BOTAM